Using the calculations and assumptions made in the post Citrix VDI-in-a-Box: Sizing Guide I have created the following sizing calculator.
- Enter total number of users (desktops)
- Decide on the type of user; Power user or Normal user
Normal user: ~10 IOPS per concurrent user. This user is probably working in a few applications with minimal web browsing.
Power user: ~25 IOPS per concurrent user. This user usually runs multiple applications concurrently and spends considerable time browsing the web.
User definitions taken from “Finding a Better way to estimate IOPS for VDI“
- Enter golden image size
- Enter number of Golden images you will use
- Review total hardware requirements
- All assumptions can be edited, therefore you can change the IOPS, RAM or CPU numbers for each setting.
- This spread sheet has been published using Microsoft Office Web Apps and therefore might not be available on all platforms. If demand exists I will look to change that.
- All calculations use the ROUNDUP fucntion therefore numbers may vary from original post but will provide more accurate if looking at hardware configurations.
Citrix VDI-in-a-Box: Sizing Calculator Version 1.0